May 18, 2008

BYBS : What do you want to be?

(To join Blog Your Blessings Sunday, and get your name on the blogroll, click on the banner above and follow the simple instructions.)

"What do you want to be when you grow up?" is a question that we often ask our children. The replies range from cute to funny to outright ludicrous. A grown up is never asked the same question, because, for one, he is grown up and has become what he wanted to be. Or, has he?

Many of us realise our true calling as we grow up, and are able to find a job that has something to do with what we like to do. For the rest of us (and this is especially true in India), our job has nothing to do with what we want to do. What we end up doing is what is expected of us, or what we manage to end up with in the quest to become the best among our peers.

Stuck with doing a job that we really don't like makes us mechanical. We begin to do things because we have to, and not because we want to. Some of us again get used to that life, and actually begin to enjoy it. While the rest just live from one day to another, and then the next.

The solution does not lie in quitting your job, and starting doing whatever it is that you like to do. After all as a grown up person there are responsibilities that you have to fulfill and, in most cases, you can't let go off them just like that. The solution, I feel, lies in identifying what you want to do; setting up goals and targets - short term as well as long term.

When you do that, you try and take out time to achieve what your heart truly desires. Doing even your routine job, then, becomes less boring as you know that you are slowly, but surely, working towards that ultimate goal, where you end up doing what you really want to do.

Being able to set up goals and objectives, and attaining them is a great blessing. And I hope that all of us are blessed with it. Have a great week ahead!

8 comments:

Susan Demeter said...

A friend of mine recently chucked in a 13 year career in broadcasting to go back to school, and follow his dream of becoming a history teacher. He was very lucky to be able to do so, and he knows it. I think setting realistic goals, and objectives is definitely a blessing as it helps us move forward towards our dreams. :)

DoubleDeckerBusGuy said...

Actually, at forty and having spent over two decades as a professional computer geek, I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up!

I agree that the answer is NOT to do a radical change and find a way through what's at hand... after all, I often say, my career found me, not the other way around...

I was actually heading to teacher's college to become a teacher when I found I was adept at computer stuff... and through some odd circumstances, here I is...

Phyl said...

I just BMB...lol.

It is here:
http://scrappynhappy.blogspot.com/2008/05/meme-monday-7.html

CyberCelt said...

It used to be that way in the USA. You graduated high school and maybe college, got married and went to work for a company for 30 years and then retired. Now, there are no more 30 year jobs--somebody ran off with the pension funds.

If you can find a job you enjoy doing then you are blessed. Otherwise, you must make the most of your non-work time: spend time with family, take up a hobby, volunteer in the community, go back to school.

kuanyin333 said...

Hey, it's been awhile since I've visited you, and I love your new look! Happy BYB Sunday!

Anonymous said...

You're so right. I have a job I love and I don't know who I would be without it. But there are times I can't do it. then I have to do exactly what you say here in order to stay focused and on track. Great words.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Yes, I think people do need a passion to keep up their enthusiasm for life. But I think the question of whether to make a radical change or a gradual one is ultimately an individual decision left up to each person and whatever they use to guide them--be it God or common sense or intuition.

SandyCarlson said...

Happy birthday. (I thought I had left a comment and birthday greeting! Sorry about that. Best wishes.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails