June 15, 2008

BYBS : Change

(To join Blog Your Blessings Sunday, and get your name on the blogroll, click on the banner above and follow the simple instructions.)

Change is the law of nature. It is bound to happen sooner or later - whether you like it or not. So, it is better to be prepared for a change when it comes. In fact, what is even better is to be the cause for the change.

Mahatma Gandhi has said, "Be the change you want to see in the world."

He couldn't have been more right.

It is easy to find people who are complaining about one thing or another. But it is really hard to find people who can quit complaining, and act in a way that the cause of the complaint is removed. And to be honest, I find that I belong to the former category more often than I belong to the latter category.

One of the problems facing the world today is the global rise in oil prices. Though there may be many factors responsible for the price hike, it can not be denied that one of the major reasons for the rise is the increase in the demand of oil all over the world.

So, I think it is the responsibility of each and every one of us to save as much oil as we can. If we do that, I am sure that is going to have some effect on the oil prices. It is strange that we, as humans, can easily ignore a problem until it begins to have a direct impact on us.

Similar has been the case with oil. We have known for years that it is a non-renewable resource, and once finished it will be centuries before it will be replenished. Yet, it is only now, when we have been affected in the form of increasing prices, that we have stood up and noticed the problem.

Let us hope that it is not too late even now, and the changes - if we make them - will make things better for all the people in the world, and also for our planet earth as a whole.

6 comments:

Susan Demeter said...

Agreed! We each have the power to affect change. Even small changes can help with solutions to much bigger problems, like you said cutting back on oil consumption etc.

Happy BYB Sunday!

SandyCarlson said...

I agree with this, Neo. It seems to be human nature to wait until the crisis is at hand to makechanges.

We've started growing our own salad veggies and stopped driving much of anywhere this summer.

Thanks for this great reminder that we can make a difference.

Paulie said...

Well, I am doing my part by riding the bus and walking many places too. It isn't change for me tho -- I have been doing this all my life.

PS I suppose I wrote my comment in the wrong place last week as I don't see it there this week and clicked on last week's when I went to comment today. Sorry about that! I will try to remember your comment section is at the top. Since you moderate comments, as do I, I can't tell if I put it in the right place immediately.

Anonymous said...

We each need to contribute a little savings and this would make a big change.

Whatever said...

An interesting approach is to help make an eco-friendly approach viable. For example, paying a little more to use wind power allows such enterprises to get off the ground.

Interesting post.

storyteller said...

You’ve made some excellent points … and I suspect we’re all making changes in our usual ways of being in the face of today’s oil prices. I’m driving much less for a variety of reasons … and believe that as each of us grows in awareness we’ll continue to live differently.
I’m happy my computer cooperated this week and allowed me to Blog My Blessings after missing a couple of weeks. I’m hoping it will allow me to visit some others participating too.
Hugs and blessings,

Related Posts with Thumbnails