November 14, 2006

NaNoWriMo : Week 2!

Week two of NaNoWriMo is almost over. I am still lagging. At this point I feel so ready to throw my hands in the air and say: “I quit”.

One thing that I already knew but realized once again is that the smallest thing if not planned well, and then executed as per plan, can go wrong, terribly wrong. Also, the easiest target seems impossible to one who fails, and an impossible target seems easy to one who achieves it.

Back to NaNoWriMo, this is where I am right now:

With almost 16 days to go and about 40,000 words to write, I need an average of 2500 words per day. Looking at my past average of almost 700 words, this is a tough ask, but what actually happens, only time will tell.

Here is another excerpt from what I am currently writing:
As I had decided before, I began to observe humanity more closely. I had all the time and patience in the world, now, to just sit and watch a man snore, or lover’s talk or a student read. I would try and find a reason to every little sleight of the hand, every movement of the eye. This would be my hobby, my favorite way to spend time.

Every night, as it got dark, I would try and get back home. Something about home gave me a feeling of safety and comfort, though I avoided going inside because that made me sad by reminding of what once was and what could still have been, if only I had not been stupid enough to do what I had done. One such night, as I was wandering around what was once my house, I saw lights still on at my neighbor’s house. These lights had always been a source of curiosity for me mixed with a little annoyance.

More as the month progresses.



4 comments:

Whatever said...

Thats one thing I don't like about NaNoWriMo: it's way too easy to fall behind and feel like your goal is impossible. The thing is, 10000+ words is amazing! Even if you stopped now, that would be an wonderful achievement.

One thing that I've found helpful (heh, like I should talk), is editing what I already have. Often times, I will rewrite it and keep on going --- writing more from an "editing" session than if I were to sit down with the goal of churning out some "new" work.

Jayashree Bhat said...

I think quality matters much more than quantity. One of my all time favourite novels, Jonathan Livinston Seagull, is only about 8000 words long. If you ask me, the basic concept of Nanowrimo is to make people begin writing, not the goal of 50,000 words. A few thousand words which are amazing rank much higher than pages and pages which sound like they've been stretched to form 50,000 words.
All the best, anyway...

Unknown said...

watching ppl is always interesting

time to step up a gear there neo! ;)

Blue Panther said...

@ whatever: it is easy to fall behind. Like all other things, it reqires discipline if you want to finish it in the said thirty days. And editing does help.

@ jayashree : Quality does matter indeed but well the target here is 50,000 words in 30 days. Anything less is a failure.

@ stev :trying my best.

Related Posts with Thumbnails