May 27, 2007

BYBS - Character

(To know more about Blog Your Blessings Sunday, click here, and to view the blog roll click here. If you participate and your name is not on the roll, just leave a comment and your name will be added as soon as possible. If you do not participate yet, it’s never too late to start. Just Blog Your Blessings.)

There is a famous adage that goes, “When wealth is lost nothing is lost, when health is lost something is lost, but when character is lost, everything is lost”. I am sure a version of this exists in every language and dialect that exists in different parts of the world.

But, I feel, what happens in real life these days is just the opposite of the above. If we lose our character we don’t think we have lost much, if we lose our health we think something is lost and when we lose our wealth, it feels like everything is lost.

Though it would be foolhardy of me to imagine that much can be accomplished in this physical world without money, yet it can be safely said that without a good character and a hearty health, all the money in the world would be of no use to a person.

Building a character is a work of a lifetime. One has to be careful about what one does and how one reacts to the various situations that life has to offer him. Sometimes making the right decision and sticking to it can be very difficult, while the alternative seems like a cakewalk. But at the end of the day nothing makes one happier than the knowledge that he did what he knew was right.

I can’t say that I have always done the right thing. Many a times I have chosen the easy way out, but every time I have regretted doing it. But, I guess that is life. You make mistakes and then you learn from them. True test of character is not to let the mistakes pull one down but to face the consequences and make sure that the mistakes are not repeated.

Strong character in a person is a great blessing. Not only for him, but also for the people around him. Just as one bad apple can spoil the lot, one man with a strong character can change the society.

Have a great week ahead!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a terrific BYB, and I agree. It makes me think of some of the uber wealthy that behave badly, and if they ever regret their decisions that have obviously made them unhappy. Paris Hilton is one that pops to mind. Happy BYB, my entry is also now online. Have a great week ahead too!

Marilyn said...

This is one of the great Truths of life, easily forgotten and easily misunderstood. Character is a wonderful thing but sometimes we look in on other lives from the outside and don't see all of the aspects of the decision making process. Divorce, unemployment, even artificial haircoloring... I have heard folks question a person's character based on these. I think that's silly.

unknown said...

black panther,
A great post! A person's character is something, I feel, they need to be proud of in any situation. I have found over the years that my character is a lot stronger than I ever thought it was. I have been in situations where strong character was the only thing that got me through it. A blessing that I thank the good Lord for on a daily basis. Have a great week! :-)

CyberCelt said...

I learned that your word is your bond and that is everything. I have tried to teach it to my son, but he does not "get it."

In the schools over here, they are trying to teach character. It is something that comes from within.

Character is the framework on which our life is built.

Have a great week.

SandyCarlson said...

Happy BYB Sunday. I agree with you. I see a lot of folks who have money but no character trying like the dickens to buy stuff to make up the difference.

Standing under the Sky said...

This is a wonderful post. Thank you.

Unknown said...

"When wealth is lost nothing is lost, when health is lost something is lost, but when character is lost, everything is lost"
That's a good phrase indeed.

Mayhaps we can summarize that life is a school of hard knocks... that's good for you?! (Or building your character anyway ;)

Anonymous said...

Great truth there. Thanks for sharing it, because it certainly bears repeating.

Related Posts with Thumbnails