January 3, 2008

In Pursuit of Perfection

The festivities of the New Year are finally over and life has, once again, fallen into routine mode. Now, there are two ways of looking at the New Year. The first is to realise that almost 1% of 2008 has already passed us by and soon it will be 2009. The second is to feel that 99% of 2008 is still to go, and there is a lot that can be done in this time. But, I digress...

Since this is the first post of 2008, I feel it is imperative to talk about resolutions. I am sure most of us make many resolutions every year; some that we are able to keep and some that we are not. When we are not able to keep these resolutions, we are sometimes frustrated by the futility of making resolutions in the first place. But, resolve we must, because resolutions are a sign that we are willing to change, and change for the better.

Before I continue let me tell you what my resolution for 2008 is.

I started out with many resolutions for 2008, and then I realised that my resolution for 2008 is simply : "The pursuit of perfection"

We are often told, "Nobody is perfect" and " To err is human," and there are many proverbs and idioms that say something to the same effect.

So, should we let these be an excuse for us not to try and attain that state that we call perfection. Maybe it is not achievable, yet would it hurt to try?

Let us say there is a scale, and a MAN, like you and me, is a 0 on that scale and a perfect man is a 100. The MAN is told - again and again - that he can never reach 100. So what should he do?

I say, he should try and get to 100. If he doesn't get there; he was never expected to. If he does, he gets the last word, and the last laugh. But the point is that even if he doesn't get to a 100 he will get to a number that will be greater than zero. And that will be a life well lived.

So, what is your resolution for 2008?

4 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

We should disregard the fools who say 100% is not available to us and jut plain go for it--all the while recognizing that 100% effort is both essential and the very definition of humanity.

SandyCarlson said...

This is a wonderful statement and the very point of trying hard:

But the point is that even if he doesn't get to a 100 he will get to a number that will be greater than zero. And that will be a life well lived.

My resolution is to be kind and do my best. So far, so good at 7:23 a.m. on Day 6 of 2008!

Happy BYB Sunday.

Susan Demeter said...

Great post for the new year! My resolution is to continue to improve my health by taking better care of my body. I like what you said about the 100 and striving towards it. I agree :)

Anonymous said...

Perfection is not easily attained, but it is something toward which we should all strive, especially politicians! LOL

My resolutions:

* I will eat healthier this year,
* I will explore parks and green spaces on my bike.

I did not put time limits on my success. If I set hard and fast goals and then do not meet them, I tend to become discouraged. If I make lifestyle changes, i will have the benefit of better health for the rest of my life.

Related Posts with Thumbnails