March 8, 2009

BYBS : The Choice

(To know more about Blog Your Blessings Sunday, click on the banner above. If you want to join us, you can read the instructions and begin. Blogrolling is finally up again. So, sometimes this week, I will be updating the blogroll. So, leave a comment if your link in the blogroll is pointing to the wrong site, or if you are a part of BYB and your name is not on the blogroll.)

Time flies!

I know I am not saying anything new with that line, but for one reason or another we keep forgetting the value of time, and I guess it wouldn't hurt to be reminded of it every now and then.

It was about nine months ago that I decided to take a break from work, and go back to school to get an Executive-MBA degree. At that time, one year seemed like a lot of time. But now, when I look back, I don't know where the nine months went.

After nine months of being in a management course, the one (I almost wrote only) thing that has become very clear to me is that before you can start thinking about managing anything, you have to successfully manage yourself. I guess you don't have to go to a management school to know that. Most of us know that already. But we keep looking for ways and means to somehow find a way to manage others, without, first, having to manage ourselves.

In this regard, I recently read two stories - H. G. Well's The Country of the Blind, and Richard Bach's Jonathan Livingstone Seagull. The two stories deal with the subject of the interaction between the individual and the society. They talk about how society can be a limiting factor in an individual's search for excellence. But, whether an individual chooses to swim with the current and accept the diktats of the society, or whether he chooses to create his own path, is the choice of the individual alone, and no one can take that away from him.

Most of us, when faced with a situation where we have to make a choice usually choose the path shown to us by the society. The simple reason for that is because it is very convenient. Going against the society would require a lot of effort, discipline and determination. Most of the time we are not very sure if we have it in us to achieve success on our own terms, so we take the easy way out, and follow the path that is well trodden, and, therefore, safe.

However, I feel that it is a great blessing that despite the pressures that the society exerts on us, the final choice of doing the right thing, or the easy thing is always on us. And though most of the time we do the easy thing, I am sure a day will come when we do the right thing.

Have a great week ahead!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy, if we all did the right thing, the politicians would be out of jobs!
Have a wonderful week.

SandyCarlson said...

Wouldn't it be great if easy and right meant the same thing? When I was much younger, I thought they should be the same. Growing up meant learning the opposite is true.

Great post.

Related Posts with Thumbnails