February 29, 2008

Despair, or Hope?

Any given situation can be perceived in two ways : optimistically, or pessimistically.

I read somewhere that given a choice between hope and despair, most people often choose despair. I was surprised to read that, because, to me, it seems natural that a person, when given a choice, should chose hope over despair. But, when I looked around me I realised that there wase truth in writer's claim.

In life things rarely happen the way we want them to. There is always many a slip between the cup and the lip. And over a period of time our experiences begin to tell us that there is a greater chance of us failing, than succeeding. So, we begin to expect failure. And if we are expecting failure, the desire to succeed, instead of raging like a wild fire, gets extinguished. It is a vicious circle indeed.

But I feel that regardless of what has happened in the past, one should always look at the future with hope. Ofcourse the mistakes of the past should not be forgotten or ignored. One should learn his or her lesson from the mistakes, and move on --without losing hope. For, however dark the night may be, morning always follows it.

How do you look at the future? With hope, or despair?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope, hope and more hope.

Rohit said...

I am with hope and my belief is that without hope the whole world will stop functioning the way its doing...

Cheers :)

Sangeeta said...

Hope with a twinge of despair :P

am here from orkut...nice blog

Related Posts with Thumbnails