June 14, 2009

BYBS: Looking

(To join Blog Your Blessings Sunday, and get your name on the blogroll, click on the banner above and follow the simple instructions.)

There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after.
-J.R.R.Tolkien

Almost an year ago I took a chance - I took a break from my job, left the life I had been living for the past five years behind me, and joined a one year management course. I was definitely looking for something. Now, an year later, I am still looking, but the time left for looking has come to an end. In a few more days, the course will be over and I, in all likelihood, will be heading back to my old life.

So, was this a wastage of time?

This is a question I often ask myself. Would I have been better off if I had chosen not to look, and continued with my old life. When I discuss this question with my friends, I find that both sides have their supporters. Some of my friends feel that coming here was a mistake, while others feel that it was worth the time and trouble that it cost. One big factor for the disappointment is the current economic downturn that the world is facing. The recession has made it difficult for most people to find a job of their liking. So, most of us have to either go back to our old jobs, or take up a job that is less satisfying than the last job.

For me that is not a big factor. However, even I can't say that I found what I was looking for.

Yet, I am not disappointed. The reason is simple: While I was looking for the thing that I was trying to find - but couldn't find - I found many other things; things that I did not know I needed.

Today, as I was thinking of what to write, I chanced upon the above quote, and I thought how appropriate it was. Looking will always help you find something. Even if we take the quote in the most literal sense, I am sure all of us have examples of finding that long lost thing, when we were looking for those misplaced car keys. Have we not?

Looking, thus, is a great blessing. Let us hope that we never stop looking, at least not till we have found everything that can be found.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey panther its great to see your blogs.....just wanted to know the source of inspiration as well as the ideas that drives it .....is it some void , emptiness or just a simple need to put across and register....another blogger who never blogs but comment heeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaa tk cr .

PERBS said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Daisy said...

What a beautiful post! It is indeed nice that people still seek and not be just content with what they have. This not only brings new opportunities but also meaning in life. The drive, the dream... I believe that anyone who does not dream lives a worthless life.

have a nice week!

Btw, here's my BYBS... apologies for not coming by every week to link my post. but every time I have a BYBS, I link your blog! XoXoX

cybercelt said...

Learning is never a waste. Keeps your mind open. I have been thinking of taking a photography course and would love to learn calligraphy.

Did you learn something useful about human nature, herd instincts, communication techniques, performance reviews? If so, that knowledge will be helpful no matter what your job.

I graduated college at 48. I worked 4 years in my field now I do not. Did I regret it? No way.

Have a great week.

Daisy said...

I see you were not able to post for last Sunday. I hope everything's okay. Well, here's my BYBS for this week.

Hope you have a nice day...

Whatever said...

Your post made me think of a song by "Squeeze" called "The Day I get Home"

When this young man comes rolling home
The lamp posts move and in the road
I sing and dance in falling rain
It's good to be back home again

Related Posts with Thumbnails